Monday, December 11, 2006

A Land Down Under

Being in quite the lesuirely state of mind in the last few days, I decided to do what any able-minded and educated person would do on a holiday in another country; I read a book. What was the subject of the book, I hear you ask? It was a book about Australia. Called In A Sunburnt Country by Bill Bryson

That's right, I travelled to the other side of the world and spent a substantial amount of time sitting on my bed reading a book about the place where I live. In my defense, it is by an American, which is what made it so interesting. See, this fellow Bryson has an amusing writing style and an unusual affection for that place that many of you readers call home. The guy had a rather quaint preoccupation with all the murderous flora and fauna we have, but apart from that, I learnt a whole lot more about Australia than I probably have ever.

See, the furtherest north I've been in Australia is the Big Pineapple and the furtherest West I've been is Echuca; so it was nice to hear about cool places I've never really been interested in like Macksville, Tanunda, Kalbarri, Daly Waters, Dongara and Adelaide. Bryson even went to Young. Plus, he rattled off all these names of quite significant Australians who no one has ever heard of; like Stan Awramik, Ernest Giles and Thomas Austin.

The moral of the story is that it was a good, informative and entertaining read.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Work Sam!
Sounds like an interesting story.
Heres a tale for you of adventure and Coffee...I call it P!nk

So there we were waiting in a line for DMB tickets and jess finally arrives after parking the car, I tell her to go buy us some coffee and she says no I produce AUD$15 and off she goes, thats the coffee.
Steph and myself continue to wait in line...time passes...Jess returns with Babar Civic coffee (my perference when I worked for AGL, actually the only coffee i got while I was there Once to twice a day).
Finally we are next in line and proceed to the counter, I confidentally say is there a purchase limit...The girl answers "not that I am aware of". I say "5 thanks". I proceed to pay for the purchase when just before the trio goes to leave she says here are your 5 Pink tickets!
At this moment I am confused and slightly agitated, she proceeds to say"this whole line up is for pink!!!" "oh I wanted dmb I say sheepishly" "HMMMM!!!!" she replys after 5 minutes and Yes a 2 ticket limit, steph and myself become the proud owners of 2 tickets each and jess one ticket. Thats my story for the day...Then I found 5 bucks...Great Story Hanzel.

Mick said...

hey sam,

hows things?

love mick.

Amanda and Peter said...

What is happening Sam? Such a sudden end to a masterpiece blog!!